Couponing 101 – How to Shop for FREE at Target
We hope that you’ve enjoyed our Couponing 101 Series. Going forward, in between some of the other Couponing 101 subjects we’re going to highlight different stores and give you a “How to Guide” for that specific store. This week’s Couponing 101 store will be Target.
New to Target? Here’s all you need to know to start shopping for FREE at Target!
Before we even get started you want to make sure that you have a Target REDcard. Your Target REDcard will get you a 5% discount every day on purchases. If you don’t have one you will need to sign up for one. This is a little different than the rewards cards for other stores. The Target REDcard is actually your form of payment. Now, you have the option of opening a Credit Card (either a Target Store Card or Target MasterCard) or a Debit Card. For those who do not like to use credit cards you can open up a debit card that will be linked to your bank account. You can sign up HERE and start saving! It will take 5-7 days to receive your card so that you can begin shopping in the store but you can begin to shop online immediately.
Now that I have a Target REDcard, how does this work?
When you use your Target Debit Card™, Target Credit Card™ or Target™ MasterCard® at Target stores or Target.com, you will receive 5% off your purchases. If you use a REDcard in the same purchase transaction with another form of payment, the 5% discount will apply only to the purchase amount tendered to your REDcard. 5% discount applies to eligible purchases minus any other discounts and the value of any promotional Target gift cards received in the transaction.
5% discount does not apply to the following:
- Prescriptions, over-the-counter items located behind the pharmacy counter and clinic services at Target
- Target Optical™ eye exams
- Target gift cards and prepaid cards
- Previous purchases
- Certain restaurant merchants in Target stores
- Target credit account payments, Target Debit Card cash back and cash advances on the Target MasterCard
- Gift wrap and shipping and handling charges on Target.com purchases
- Wireless protection program purchases and deposits required by mobile carrier
- Where otherwise prohibited by law
When you pay using your REDcard you receive and extended return period. You will automatically receive an additional 30 days for any returns.
Do you order online at Target.com? When you use your REDcard you receive FREE standard shipping! (Don’t forget to start your online shopping at EBates to earn cash back from your purchase!)
Before I start shopping, are there any other ways I can save at Target?
Cartwheel – Cartwheel will give you additional discount offers. If you have a smart phone be sure to download the Cartwheel Mobile App. Once you select your offers, all you need to do is show the cashier the offer barcode on your mobile device. They will scan the barcode and you will receive your savings. No worries if you don’t have a Smart Phone. You can still sign up for Cartwheel and print the barcode for your offers. HERE are some of the current offers available. A Cartwheel Offer may be combined with a Manufacturers Coupon and a Target Store Coupon to maximize your savings!
Target Insert Coupons – Check your Sunday Inserts for special Target Only coupons. For maximum savings, combine these with a Cartwheel Offer, Manufacturers Coupon, Sale, and your Target REDcard.
Target Printable Coupons – Check Target.com for printable coupons. You will find both Manufacturers Coupons and Target Store Coupons here. Always make sure you read your coupons. Many of the Target Store Coupons are a limit of one per guest. Once in a while, we get lucky and the limit is higher.
Target Mobile Coupons – Mobile coupons are Target Store Coupons that can be sent directly to your phone to be used in the store. These coupons can only be used once but they can be stacked with a Manufacturers Coupon. You can sign up for Target Mobile Coupons HERE from your internet capable mobile device. You will receive your coupon offer links via text message so keep in mind that messaging and data rates will apply.
Gift Card Offers – Gift Card Deals will get you a Target Gift Card at checkout for buying specific products. Gift Cards cannot be used in the same transaction you earned them, however they can be rolled into the next transaction. If you do more than one Gift Card Deal in a transaction you will get gift cards for each deal. Check your flyer for the deals that are good for the week. Sometimes you will come across unadvertised Gift Card Offers that may extend beyond the week.
Every store has their own coupon acceptance policies so it is best to print a copy and keep it with you for reference. Here is the most current Target Coupon PolicyHere is the policy (as of July 2016):
Target Stores Coupon Policy
Coupons are a great way to save even more when shopping with us, and it is easy to use them at our stores. When accepting coupons, we follow the guidelines below to ensure all guests have the opportunity to purchase products at great prices.
Manufacturer and Target Coupons:
- Only one manufacturer coupon (paper or Cartwheel digital), one Target coupon (paper or digital), and one Cartwheel℠ offer can be combined per item (unless otherwise noted on coupon).
- We have the right to refuse, or limit the use of any coupon and/or the subsequent return for any reason, including if guests’ reoccurring behavior becomes disruptive or the items are deemed not to be for the purpose of using or gifting.
- Limit of 4 identical coupons per household, per day (unless otherwise noted on coupon).
- We do not accept expired coupons.
- All coupons and Cartwheel must be presented to the cashier during checkout and have a scannable barcode. Coupons and Cartwheel offers cannot be applied to previous purchases.
- Item purchased must match the coupon description (brand, size, quantity, color, flavor, etc.). Acceptance of unmatched coupons is against policy.
- Coupons are void if copied, scanned, altered, transferred, purchased, sold, or prohibited by law.
- The value of a coupon will be applied up to the reduced price of the item and any excess value will not be applied to the transaction total.
- We do not give cash back nor do we apply any overages to the remaining items in the transaction if the value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.
- The sales tax is calculated by using the full value of an item prior to applying a manufacturer coupon. Target coupons reduce the taxable amount of the items to which they apply, unless prohibited by law.
- We cannot accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for products not carried in our stores.
- Some items may not be available at all stores.
- We do not accept counterfeit coupons.
- We accept manufacturer coupons with a scannable GS1 data bar. We do not accept UPC-A coupon barcodes.
- Target coupons, Cartwheel manufacturer coupons, and Cartwheel offers cannot be used on products sold by CVS.
- We gladly accept valid internet coupons with a scannable barcode.
- We do not accept internet coupons for free items with no purchase requirements.
- Only one Category Coupon per guest can be used for any individual category.
- If redeeming more than one coupon for different categories / departments or storewide coupons, you must meet the purchase requirements for each coupon individually.
- Percent off Category Coupons will apply to all qualifying items in the transaction. No other same category / department or storewide coupon will apply to those items.
- BOGO coupons cannot be combined (i.e. you cannot use two BOGO coupons on two items and get both for free). Unless stated otherwise on the coupon, the use of one Buy One Get One Free coupon requires that two of the valid items are presented at checkout of which one item will be charged to the guest and the 2nd item will be discounted by its full retail price.
- Returns of items purchased using Manufacturer Coupons may receive coupon value returned in the form of a Target GiftCard.
- Target coupons reduce the refundable amount and coupon value will not be given back upon return of the merchandise.
Now that I understand the Target REDcard and all the other ways to save , how do I shop for FREE at Target?
Make sure that you are following the weekly Target Forum posts at
Join our Target Freebies and Deals Facebook Group
Now that you have found out the best deals at Target by using our Forum and Facebook Group, put your list together using our Printable Shopping List
Make your first purchase and start saving!
Once you get home, snap a picture and post your success on our Target Freebies & Deals Facebook Group with a breakdown of how you did it. This will help out any Members that want to duplicate your success. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Who knows, maybe we’ll even front page your brag at!