20 Kitchen Hacks You NEED To Know!
Before the next time you hit the kitchen, check out our list of 20 Kitchen Hacks You NEED To Know! These easy tips may help you out in a sticky situation 😉 Happy Cooking!
1. Create a No-Slip Cutting Board by lightly dampening a paper towel and laying it underneath your cutting board, holding your board in place!
2. Combat Garlic, Onion & Fish Stink on your hands after chopping by rubbing your hands on your Stainless Steel kitchen faucet and rinsing with cool water. It’s a whole fancy scientific thing.. but it’s a tried & true old housewives method that WORKS! (You can also purchase a bar of Stainless Steel Soap from Amazon, which does the same thing, for those of you with sinks made of something other than Stainless Steel. Only $2.70+Free Shipping!)
3. When you’re boiling a pot on the stove, if you start to see your pan try to do the dreaded BOIL-OVER.. Grab a Wooden Spoon! Place it diagonal, opposite to the handle (like if you were making an X) and it will stop the boil-over.
4. Stand your Corn on the Cob up on the middle circle of your Bundt Pan and use your knife to easily shear the kernels from the cob and catch them in the pan = NO MESS!
(See a video how-to here from Food Network’s Ree Drummond)
5. Easily Soften Butter by filling a glass cup with HOT water and allow to sit for a minute. Place the amount of butter you need softened on a plate, dump the glass of water and flip the glass over the butter (upside down) and the heated glass will create steam and perfectly soften your butter.
6. When Storing Homemade Pudding or Guacamole, place a piece of plastic wrap directly against the surface of the pudding and gently press to touch the entire surface. This skin prevents that gross “skin” these foods can get!
7. For Quick Blender Cleaning, fill your blender halfway with hot water from your sink. Add a drop of dish soap, optional: 1 tspn. of white vinegar. Blend for 15-20 seconds, then rinse well.
8. Do You Bake Your Meatballs? Next time you do, roll them up and pop each meatball in a sprayed muffin tin cup! Toss the muffin tin in and bake according to your recipe! You get nicely browned meatballs every time.
9. Easily Pit a Cherry by using a chopstick or sturdy drinking straw. Pop either up through the center of the bottom of your cherry, pushing the pit up through the top and discard.
10. Got a Half-Empty Box of Pasta? Save your next empty Pringles container for perfectly size spaghetti storage that keeps your dry tall pasta fresh until you finish it up.
11. When Storing Greens (lettuce/spinach, etc) or Fresh Herbs, place them in a zipper bag with a damp paper towel to keep them crisp and fresh!
12. To Decorate Baked Goods Like a PRO Without a Piping Bag, take a zipper bag and fill with your frosting. Push the frosting down to one corner then snip off the tip to the desired size and neatly frost or decorate your sweet treats!!
13. The “FIFO Rule” is a great way to remember how to store and rotate your pantry items. FIFO = First In, First Out! Whatever new items you bring in go to the back and you pull the oldest of that item to the front – assuring you use your items in the right dated order and nothing goes to waste!
14. Use a Mason Jar with a Clean Kraft Parmesan Cheese Lid to create a NEW shaker jar for things like sugar for your coffee! Another fun idea is to use this shaker jar and collect the excess of all the different colored glitters from your children’s art projects to create a mixed jar of DIY Rainbow Glitter!
15. Stand Your Ice Cream Cone Up in a Coffee Mug to be able to easily top it with your favorite goodies, as well as have a mess-free way to eat it without having to hold your cone and rush through it. Place it in the mug to catch the mess and take a break, if you need it!
16. De-Stink Your Wooden Cutting Board with a Lemon! Rub a cut lemon across the entire surface after cutting stinky foods, then wash as you normally would. A regular wash without the lemon step will still leave the residual smell of things like garlic, onion and fish. Yuck!
17. Firm Your Cheese Before Your Grate by tossing your block of cheese in the freezer for 15-20 minutes prior to grating – just long enough to firm it up to make the grating process easier; Do not let it freeze completely.
18. Microwave 1 cup white vinegar + 1 cup hot water for 5-10 minutes to Easily Clean Your Microwave. Wipe interior clean once done. Couldn’t be easier!
19. Quickly Halve Small Tomatoes or Grapes by placing them on a food storage container lid, and place another on top (pick ones with a bit of a lip so they don’t roll away; those plastic deli container lids work well) then place your palm on top and slice between the two lids – big batch done FAST!
20. For your next cocktail, skip the ice – Add Frozen Berries instead = no watery drink! You’re welcome. Haha!
What are your favorite kitchen hacks? We would love to hear them! Please leave us a comment and let us know!