by Susan Kanoff, Fashion Coach
With the economy in tough shape, everyone seems to be cutting back. Although a new wardrobe might be on hold for you right now, there are many things you can do to update your current collection without spending a fortune. Looking great doesn’t have to break the bank with these money saving tips:
- Check out consignment shops: You can often find “barely worn” or even new pieces of clothing at a thrift shop (including Goodwill!).
- Don’t be a clothes snob—there are many great discount stores that have fabulous clothes and accessories. Target is a great place to shop—the Isaac Mizrahi and Mossimo lines have both fashionable and affordable pieces.
- Take stock of your closet. What can you add to your current wardrobe to update it? Perhaps a scarf or funky necklace will give your plain black dress a new look.
- Have a clothing swap. Ruster up a group of friends who wear a similar size and have a clothes exchange. If your friends vey in size, have an accessory exchange and swap handbags, scarves and jewelry.
- Buy basic pieces of clothing in neutral colors for versatility.
- Barter! Don’t be afraid to ask for a markdown if there is a stain, tear, or some other slight defect. Also, at stores like Marshall’s and TJ Max, check to make sure clearance items have been properly marked down. On several occasions I have double checked the mark down only to find out that the salesperson didn’t price the item correctly.
- Sell your clothes. Bring your old clothes and accessories to a consignment shop and make some money off of what you’re not wearing.
- Return anything that you’re not wearing that you have the tags and/or receipts for. Many stores will give store credit for unworn items.
- Don’t buy anything that you don’t love or isn’t the correct size. It’s a waste of money.
- Bargain shop. The stores are also hurting right now and sales are everywhere. Scour the clearance racks for great deals (remember, only if you love it though!). Ask the salesperson if she/he has any coupons that might apply to your purchase.
- Get on your favorite store’s e-mail list to receive coupons and notifications of sales.
- Don’t buy on a whim!
· With a passion for fashion and a natural flair for style, Susan has the innate ability to create fabulous outfits for women of all shapes and sizes. Working with Susan will help you to look and feel great, inside and out. Whether you’re updating a wardrobe, revamping a closet, or shopping for new clothes, Susan will teach you how to put stylish outfits together to suit your body type and lifestyle. You will always get honest and objective guidance without pressure to conform to fashion trends.
*In-home wardrobe consultations
*Closet revamping sessions
*Personalized shopping trips
*Special occasion attire
Learn to dress your best and look fabulous!
Susan Kanoff, Fashion Coach
(978) 807-0577/ www.agreatnewlook.com