Spot Sneaky Savings at Salvation Army!
I’m about to let you in on a secret… I’ve never (yes, I said NEVER) bought a piece of furniture brand new, lol. I also don’t spend big bucks on art. How, you may ask? The Salvation Army, that’s how! I buy second hand furniture and give it some DIY love, which makes pieces in my home one-of-a-kind, as well as finding not just beautiful art pieces as is and super cheap, but also quality pictures on canvas or picture frames that may just be ugly until you slap on a coat of paint – BOOM! Brand new art!
You can do it too.. with my tips!
Half-Off Tag Day(s): ALL Salvation Army locations have a half-price color tag day. On whatever day (or days, my store does Mon & Tues; ymmv) your store has this sale each week, whichever selected color tag of the day is you can score HALF OFF everything of that color tag in the whole store. That means ANY department.. you can find the biggest savings on those days if you are in the market for bigger ticket items. I recently scored a $50 dresser for just $25 by just being patient and waiting for the right dresser + the right day to buy!
Other Promotions: Every day they have some sort of promotion, but it usually will only apply to one or two departments. So you really can find hidden savings any day of the week, but the remainder of the week, the promo color tag usually is in the clothes/shoes, linens or books department(s).
Seasonal Markdowns: Around the holidays, items will start to be marked down before the holiday – usually the week OF a holiday you’ll start to see the items marked half-off. After the holidays, they’ll sometimes drop the sales price even lower, and one Halloween they even did a promo where you could fill your bag with Halloween items for $1. I scored BIG that year 😉 Always keep an eye out or call your store around the holidays to see when they’ll be marking seasonal items down.
Coupons: You CAN also occasionally find coupons in-store. Around the end of November last year, Salvation Army handed out $5 off $25 purchase coupons that were reusable through the entire rest of the holiday season, and it was stackable with any of their in-store promotions, such as half-price colored tags, as well!!!
Also Keep in Mind..
- They no longer accept bills over $20, so be sure to come prepared with smaller bills.
- Always bring your ID/license if you’ll be using a credit card; Even if the cashiers get to know you, it’s still required every time.
- Remember that all sales are final, so if you’re buying something for someone who isn’t there to try it on (yes, they have dressing rooms!) I suggest being 150% sure or go a size up – you’ll be stuck with it even if it doesn’t fit.
And lastly, just get to know the wonderful staff that works at your local store. My staff will often give me heads up when things will be getting marked down, sell me an item without a tag (which they DON’T regularly do) or if they’re just getting a truck in of great stuff they’ll tell me so I make a trip back later that day 😉 It’s always nice to befriend the staff at stores you shop regularly at for the chance at little perks like that!
- How to Save $1378 in 2024!Samples, free w/ Qs or Apps
- TODAY ONLY at Old Navy: 50% OFF ALL Coats and Jackets for the Family!!TODAY ONLY at Old Navy: 50% OFF ALL Coats and Jackets for the Family!! Online exclusive at Old Navy! Get Coats and Jackets[Read More…]
- Best Burger King Coupons | NEW Royal Crispy Wraps Coming Soon + FREE Fries!Starting on August 14th, Burger King will begin offering new limited edition BK Royal Crispy Wraps! This new item might be seen by[Read More…]
- Budget Basics ~ How to Get StartedSamples, free w/ Qs or Apps
- The Best Subway Coupons – BOGO FREE Subway Footlong SandwichesSave money on your next meal by using Subway coupons and specials! You don’t have to break the bank to enjoy a delicious[Read More…]
- Office Depot Bottled Purified Water 24 Pack Only $3.99!!Head on over to Office Depot right now where you can get their Purified Water 24-packs for only $3.99 each! Just add to[Read More…]
- 6 Things You MUST Know Before Shopping at Dollar General6 Things You MUST Know Before Shopping at Dollar General Dollar General is one of the best stores to shop in if you[Read More…]
- 5 Simple Steps to Start (or add to) Your Emergency FundSamples, free w/ Qs or Apps
- 3 Strategies to Pay off Your DebtSamples, free w/ Qs or Apps